Rental cars are a lifesaver when you have to go somewhere urgently, and your car decides to breakdown. Moreover, there are several situations where a rental car comes to your rescue, for example, when your vehicle is at the mechanics or when you don’t have a car. However, rental cars also need to be insured, which doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg.
Rental Car Insurance Coverage Period:
To know how long your insurance company will provide coverage for a rental car, get in contact with them, and inquire about the time limit for coverage. It is vital to know the time limits before getting an insurance plan.
The majority of personal auto insurance providers offer coverage for 30 days for rental cars. However, the time limit may be different for other companies.
How to Get Rental Reimbursement if You Meet an Accident?
There isn’t just one way to avail your payment for your rental car if you’ve had an accident. We will be mentioning some methods below:
- The first way is to go to the other driver’s insurance company. The insurance company of the other driver is accountable for the fee of a rental car. The company is supposed to give you the same standard vehicle when your vehicle is under repair.
- The other way is to get in touch with your insurance company. When you are at fault in an accident, your insurance company should provide you with a rental vehicle while your car repairs. However, to do so, you must have rental insurance.
Filing Claim for a Rental Car: Nonchalant Driver’s Insurance Company vs. Your Own Insurance Company
Filing a claim for a rental car isn’t the same if you do it from your own company compared to the other driver’s company. Here are some reasons:
- If you want a rental car immediately, then filing a claim through your own company is much better. Figuring out the person at fault takes a lot of time, but in this case, your insurance company gives you a car right away. On the other hand, the other driver’s company will wait for the result of who was at fault.
- The reimbursement amount you get is estimated according to your coverage when filing a claim from your own company when the other driver is responsible for the damage. But if your rental amount is more than the maximum your company is paying, you will have to pay the extra amount from your pocket.
- Often your insurance company might fail to pay the daily price of your rental car.
What Type of Vehicle Will You Get and for How Long?
After an accident, when you file a claim, the insurance company will let the car rental company know your details. Then the car rental company will call you to understand what your requirements are. They will send the car according to your needs and the company that will pay your car’s rent.
Usually, the period for keeping a rental car is as long as you take to repair your car. While claiming, a specific time limit will be set depending on how long your car will take to get resolved.
Is There an Upfront Payment for the Rental Car?
It is essential to make a small upfront payment when renting a car. In case your insurance company is paying for the rental car, you will have to give your credit card to the rental company. The prepayment will not be hefty. Furthermore, the rental company does not need the deposit; they will return it as soon as you return the car.